My governing document update program is designed to provide your community with every document and service necessary to transition from initial interest to a complete set of current, comprehensive, carefully-tailored governing documents for one low flat fee. Updates are now particularly important for residential HOAs given recent Senate Bill 323 ("SB 323").
In addition to new SB 323 compliant CC&Rs, bylaws, and articles, my update program includes an explanatory questionnaire, a new maintenance matrix, SB 323 compliant election rules, a detailed first-draft board cover letter, a board Q&A session, revised drafts, step-by-step voting instructions, a secret ballot, a persuasive member cover letter and document summaries that clearly explain the purpose and benefits of the update, step-by-step post-vote instructions, and more.
My update program is also designed to ensure your transition to new documents is completed in a timely and efficient manner. Through my system of established channels of communication, internal deadlines, and plain-English legal advice, the majority of my clients complete their update project within eight to ten months.
Your update project will likely proceed as follows:
1. Your board completes my comprehensive update questionnaire, which provides extensive suggestions regarding modern SB 323 compliant best practices your association may wish to adopt and permits your board to provide detailed feedback regarding your community’s unique needs.
2. Using your board’s feedback and your current governing documents, I prepare first draft CC&Rs, a maintenance matrix, bylaws, election rules, and articles of incorporation, as well as a detailed cover letter which explains the drafts and any questions or concerns posed by your board. I typically require one month or less to provide first drafts; most firms require three to six months or more. This speed is critical in regards to ensuring compliance with SB 323, which takes effect on January 1, 2020.
3. Your board reviews the drafts. Unlike other firms, I provide 90-day review deadlines, which track California's quarterly meeting requirement and help ensure your update project is completed in a timely and efficient manner. If your board has questions, concerns, or proposed revisions following its review, I provide several hours of flat-fee work to discuss the drafts and prepare revised versions.
4. Once your board approves the drafts, the documents are submitted to your members for approval. I provide step-by-step voting instructions, a secret ballot, and a persuasive member cover letter and document summaries that concisely explain the purpose and benefits of the update. This simple, clear connection to value is critical to obtaining member approval.
5. Once your members approve the update, your board follows my step-by-step instructions for implementing the documents.
Your update project is then complete, and your community can enjoy the benefits of new governing documents that work.
If you have questions about the update process or my services, please review my frequently asked questions or email me at email@example.com to request a consultation. Otherwise, please contact me today to request an update proposal.